Software Verification in a Fast-Paced, HRMS Environmen
- Usually, the Decennial Census employees are paid weekly. Any modifications to the integrated Human Resource/Payroll system require testing to be thorough, accurate, and timely. The U. S. Census Bureau requires that the outputs of its system be defect-free, as possible. Since limited functional testing often failed to detect software shortcomings, the need for a formal testing process became apparent. Also, there were many production issues were reported.
B&A consultants resolved the testing challenge with the following systematic approach:
- Defined specific testing strategies by analyzing testing requirements and developing business process flows.
- Tailored test plans, test scenarios and test scripts for the various types of testing to be performed.
- Documented repeatable testing processes and procedures by using templates that would help to maintain consistency. The heavily customized HRMS system consisted of multiple modules, each requiring separate scenarios, yet needing integration strategies as well.
- Used a production-simulated testing environment.
- Verified fixes and enhancements to the HRMS system during regression testing to ensure that existing functionality is maintained.
- Used automated test tools to perform testing activities effectively in a timely manner. These tools consist of (1) TestDirector which allowed B&A to better organize and manage test requirements, plans, test scripts, and to track defects; (2) LoadRunner which helped during performance/load testing by simulating multiple, simultaneous users and also provides a method for loading the test environment with a measurable stress level; and (3) WinRunner which executed regression test cases faster than humans, reduced errors and scheduled time.
- The combination of using standardized processes and automated test tools have allowed the B&A consultants to deliver quality software within a limited window of time.
- The B&A testers developed effective tests that have resulted in increased quality of deliverables.